Coldwater Resource Regulations:
Michigan Trout Unlimited supports the ongoing review and modification of Michigan's regulations related to the scientific management of coldwater fisheries and resources to ensure their protection and restoration, and to ensure a broad range of recreational opportunities for the users of those resources.
- Fisheries Order 213: the framework for deciding the appropriateness of special regulations for coldwater fisheries. From the MDNR website November 18, 2008.
- Mio Trout Regulations
- Letter to Director Humphries Regarding Mio Trout Regulations
- MDNR Thank You on Mio regs final
- MDNR Proposal to Modify Inland Trout Regulations May 2009
- Response to MDNR proposal from MI conservation Organizations
- June 30 letter from MDNR to Coldwater Regulations Advisory Committee
- Supplemental Information from MDNR to Coldwater Regulations Advisory Committee June 11,2009
- Responses from MDNR to Conservation Organizations’ letter – June 30, 2009
- Discussion of MDNR June 30, 2009 Response Letter, Comments in Red
- July 30 Letter from MDNR to Coldwater Regulations Advisory Committee
- 2009 Mileage by Stream Type
- Coldwater Committee Mtg announcement 11-5-09
- Trout Regulation changes support letter to the MDNRE 10-07-10, as signed by Pere Marquette River Watershed Council, Au Sable Big Water Preservation Association, Michigan Trout Unlimited, Michigan River Guides Association, Michigan United Conservation Clubs, Anglers of the Au Sable, Sierra Club, Great Lakes Council of Federation of Fly Fishers
- A Guide for TU Chapters: Working with Land Trusts covers everything a TU grassroots volunteer needs to know about working with land trusts. Starting with an introduction to the basics of land trust operations, the handbook also covers the details of conservation easements, public angling access, funding and technical support, and communicating with landowners.
A companion guide for land trusts is also available.
- MITU Campground Survey Report
- MITU Comment on UP Brook Trout bag limit proposal - May 2012
- MIDNR Brook Trout Daily Possession Limit Review
- MITU opposes UP Brook Trout Regulation Policy - November 2012
- Michigan Office of the Great Lakes 2016 State of the Great Lakes Report, Annual report features innovations, events, and impacts to the Great Lakes watershed.
- Michigan TU opposition to proposed brook trout bag limits October 2018
Big Manistee River Fish Weir proposal
UP Brook Trout Bag Limits:
- Michigan TU letter to the NRC regarding UP Brook Trout Bag Limit
- UP Brook Trout Action Alert!
- May 2012 MITU comment UP brook trout bag limit
- July 2012 DNR Brook Trout Bag Limit review
- November 2012 MITU comment to DNR on UP Brook trout bag limit
- September 2016 DNR summary of experimental 10 brook trout bag limit
- 1994 DNR report on UP brook trout fishing
- Research report on brook trout fecundity and maturation
Coldwater Habitat Preservation and Restoration:
Michigan Trout Unlimited will seek legislative and executive branch support for expanded coldwater habitat preservation and restoration programs in Michigan, including the appropriation of additional funds dedicated to habitat preservation, restoration and improvement.
Land Use Planning:
Michigan Trout Unlimited supports efforts at regional and watershed based land use planning efforts which result in the recognition of the role and function of coldwater systems and undertake efforts to protect those systems.
Natural Rivers Act:
Michigan Trout Unlimited supports the expansion of the Natural Rivers Program and designation of rivers under the program when such designation will contribute to coldwater habitat protection and restoration efforts.
Fisheries Habitat Restoration Project Permit Fees:
Michigan Trout Unlimited supports legislation that would recognize the significant contribution to Michigan's communities and citizens made by non-profit organizations engaged in habitat restoration work, and which would create a new permit fee structure which would not place as large an administrative and financial burden on groups undertaking such projects for the public good.
DNR Inland Trout Management Plan: